Wednesday, March 24, 2010

ANITA ISSALUK, "Dancing Bear", steatite, # 33




Anita was born and raised near Chesterfield Inlet which is on the west coast of Hudson Bay. She began carving in 1996 after watching her father carve when she was a child. She also has learned from, and worked with, other well-known Inuit artists such as George Arlook, Alex Alikashuak and Lucy Tasseo. In addition to being a sculptor, she is multi-talented as she is also a singer/musician and painter. Her work has been exhibited across North America and abroad and has been recognized in the Inuit Art Quarterly. Today she is an internationally known Inuk stone carver.

Some of her favorite subjects include dancing bears, Sednas, mothers and children, owls, masks, and sea spirits. Before Anita begins a carving, she sees the image in the raw stone and, by working the stone, she releases the image from it. Anita’s carvings are wonderfully exuberant and beautifully balanced with minimal detail, flowing lines and gentle curves. She currently resides in Winnipeg, MB.

Artist Statement
“I found I could form any figure in the stone, provided the right tools, supplies and a good place to work ...I believe I am helping the Inuit culture through my work...ten years ago I had no idea how important this was to Inuit culture and it was a real honor to be doing it and to be able to talk about it...I have a clear picture beforehand and then I have to find the stone...the work practically becomes a part of me..I just enjoy doing this carving…I carve to emphasize my identity as an Inuit carver, and “the Inuit” of who are and where we’re coming from. I make polar bears because there are none in the universe except in the Arctic...once I start carving I let myself go...I get carried away...but make my bears as carefree and as happy-go lucky as I can. That’s just the way I want my spirit to be.”