Friday, March 19, 2010

GERRY ZELDIN, "After the Rain X", etching 7/35, #23




  Hamilton artist Gerry Zeldin has been the co-ordinator of the world renowned animation program at Sherdian College in Oakville, Ontario. Influenced by the American abstract impressionist school, Gerry quickly developed his own independent ability to describe the world on a canvas. "I loved Edward Hopper and Ben Shahn, but the story I wanted to tell had to be an original one." An eminently creative mind, Gerry has produced a wondrously particular way of describing the world - one where colour, animation, and boundless optimism all mix to produce a unique style in figurative painting.
Gerry has lived in Spain, Turkey, Greece and Mexico. He seems to gravitate to light infused places. Educated in Southern California in the late sixties, he graduated at the top of his class receiving his Masters of Fine Arts Degree.

Gerry has been commissioned to create large scale site specific public murals in varying media throughout North America. Today his works can be found in many important collections both corporate and private.

Artist Statement:

"When I was young, my father used to give me a return ticket to leave Toronto for a couple of days, just so that I could wander through New York's Metropolitan Museum," recounts Gerald Zeldin. "From this experience, I came to know that I would disappoint my dad- in his dreams that I would make a life in medicine - by becoming a painter."