Tuesday, March 23, 2010

CONRAD FUREY, "Wood Cutter", acrylic, # 44



Conrad Furey was born in Baie Verte, Newfoundland. He studied commercial art in St. John’s before moving to Ontario where he graduated from the creative art program at Sheridan College in 1974.

Furey considers himself a self-taught artist whose work is inspired by the memories of childhood. His portrayals of the everyday life of Canadians mark him as an important National artist. He noted for his expressionist representational works, bold choice of primary colours, stocky, simplified figures and the expressive qualities of the objects that form his compositions. His murals can be found in such public places as the McMaster Children’s Hospital, the Hamilton Central Library and City Hall. In 2004, Conrad was the recipient of the City of Hamilton’s Visual Arts Award.



Artist’s Statement:

"Living away [from Newfoundland] means that I can get to the essence on the memories more easily, there's less distraction," "The years I spent growing up in Newfoundland, that's where all these images are from." "It seems that Newfoundland defines me and my life growing up on an idyllic coast of this grudging isle," he says. "Our front door looked out onto an ocean bay, and that was my focus. I remember thinking about how it would have been to follow in my father's footsteps, living off the sea. I loved those times spent out fishing together, but I also realized I would have to make my own way in the world, as our back door symbolically looked out onto mines and other kinds of work. It seems I paint what I dreamt of doing with my life." My portrayals of the everyday life of Canadians, marks me as an important National Artist. My works, although most definitely Canadian have a universality that makes them appreciated by peoples from all corners.”